Thursday, August 6, 2009

Got a LIGHT???


Having been a smoker for over 10 years (cough, cough, hack hack) I found myself on too many occasions ready to take a break, step outside and puff away - only to be disappointed with the fact that I did not have a way to light it. It's at these moments smokers find themselves, shy or not, desperately seeking immediate gratification and stopping passersby with the question, "Got a light?".We all know that the cigarette is useless if there is no way to smoke it.If you can't relate to this addiction, perhaps you are an adventuresome person with a sense of wanderlust and go on hikes and camping trips in the wilderness or on mountaintops or find yourself driving across the country. Your emergency kit would probably include a compass (maybe now a GPS medium) and more than likely a heavy duty flashlight. No one wants to be stranded or lost in the dark.The world is a dreadfully dark place and it's easy to get lost within the hustle and bustle and caught up in world events and attached to all it offers. Life is an adventure and sometimes a very dark journey as we experience a crisis or trial - and it is easy to lose our way. My focus currently is only accomplishing the next best thing; taking each step one at a time, but my efforts are useless if I do not have a light leading my way.In my twenties, my wanderlust took me far and away to new places where I would often find myself alone and lost in the crowds, hanging onto the coat-tails of those who knew the way and how to get there. When I needed advice, counsel or wisdom...even encouragement, I would always know the ones I could call upon - and they were always able to lead me and get me back on the right path (of course, I had to listen!).Now that I'm in my thirties, I've realized that although their "calling back" to me and warning me of the pitfalls and helping make my way easier was a tremendous blessing, I need to know the way myself. I need to have my own light and stop depending on others to get me where I need to be. (Psalm 118:8) It's always a blessing to have those in your life you can go to for biblical counsel and scripture and encouragement, admonishment, etc - but it's BETTER when you have SO hidden his word in your heart that the Spirit and the Word together instruct you through the night and through the day - and HE makes YOU a blessing to others when those words are ready on your tongue and at your fingers.My inner compass should be an eternal perspective and the WORD of God hidden in my heart. I trust anyone traveling lightly or with a heavy load, if carrying these with him, will not lose his way. In fact, each step he takes toward his destination, he gains more strength because he knows his compass points due heavenward. These priceless treasures also make him usable as he can help those behind him, who perhaps like me, need to learn the value of carrying their own light. She who carries her own lamp (and oil) is also prepared for what may meet her on her way (See Matthew 25)Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. ***Psalm 119:105*** by the way, I do not recommend smoking. It's bad for your health...and possibly your witness!

No comments:

Post a Comment