Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Appearance of Evil

What is the appearance of evil? When is it real?
A few things happened to me at different stages of my life - all of which frustrated and hurt me, but gave me greater insight into the minds of men (and women, whom I fear are far better at being judgmental).

Scenario #1: In one week (a while back), I had two of my brothers (one was a brother-in-law) come to my home. One to pick up some nursery items I was giving to him as another baby was on her way - and the other to help me put some very needed child safety locks in place.
A neighbor said to me, "I thought you were Christian?" I said, "I am". She said, "but you have all sorts of men coming and entering your home." I felt judged. Wait. No. I WAS judged. Perhaps she was thinking that it was unwise for me to have strange men or any man come into my home with an infant son. I would agree. But did I need to explain to her that I am adopted...and that the men she mistook as suitors or questionable companions are my brothers?

Scenario #2: On Guam, while working with a mission group short-term, I was at a fiesta (come one, come all - who cares, there's enough food to feed the Marianas!)and was sitting with some locals. We all sat together while some drank beer, some partook of Beetlenut and some smoked cigarettes. I engaged in the latter. I do realize that smoking can hurt a testimony, but I feel it is a far cry to call it a cardinal sin. Anyways, someone saw and instead of coming to me to give me a kind heads' up (perhaps this is not the proper place to engage in such an activity or I would not want someone to question your lifestyle...devotion to the Lord) she went straight to the mission field director who then said "You are a bad missionary." This same director confronted another couple who were also there that partook in drinking beer. I found it very interesting months later, while delivering a meal I had made to the director and his wife - to find a case of beer in their closet and alcohol in their fridge.



Am I crazy to have felt hurt by those situations? Defensive?

I'll make a deal with you. I will not pretend to be anything or anyone than I am not. What you see is what you get. I will say what I mean and I will mean what I say. I will trust you to do the same. I will do my absolute best to honor the Golden Rule - and I will expect nothing from you than what you are (unless you're being plumb stupid when you're better than that - then I say, "you are better than that! STOP IT!)



Matthew 18 (restore your brother in love, win him forever)
JOHN 8:3-11



Dear brothers and sisters, do you feel condemned? Maybe there is no finger writing in the sand while the crowd points at what they don't understand. Just keep living for HIM because he's written YOUR name on the palm of his hand

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete