Monday, January 25, 2010

the trees in the field

Yesterday as I washed my dishes effortlessly and robotically like a desperate housewife, I glanced out the kitchen window. It faces my backyard. In the summer, the view from my window looks like a dense forest that leads to lost treasure and a secret garden. In the winter, it's just a bunch of naked trees frozen, standing separate, waiting for something...they remind me of myself sometimes.



Yesterday was rainy and gloomy, but I was not. I looked at those trees, stopping, both hands in the soapy water, resting - pausing and my ears opened and my eyes opened. The wind chimes were being played by a silent hand, the trees were bowing and swaying silently as drip, drip, drip, drip raindrops landed on the window pane.

I had thought I missed worship this beautiful and quiet, restful Sunday. I was wrong.

the babysitter arrived and I left. I enjoyed the music on the radio as I drove - three songs in a row, various styles with the same theme - He is an Awesome God. A lady speaks. She asks, "what do you see when you look out your window?" I wanted to call, but didn't.

Last night, like those trees, I felt bare, frozen by cold words, separated, isolated, vulnerable to the winds and rains of life. Green. I want to be green. I want to be nest for the birds of the heavens - I want to drink, drink, drink the living water and grow tall and strong - bearing good fruit all along.

But it is winter. And if the trees can give glory to God in the fierce and bitter cold, then so will I.

I lay on my bed. I pray. And like those trees, I gently swayed, I raised my hands to receive his glory and strength and I was given rest.

Jeremiah 17:8 One of my favorite verses: "He is like a tree planted by the water, that sends out its roots by the stream; and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit."

I layed my weary heart to rest along with my natural tendency to complain and whine while amidst a test. To do such is to take the name of the Lord in vain.

Let it rain. Let it rain. Let it rain

No comments:

Post a Comment