Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm Alive!


I have no idea what the radio program was or who the speaker was, but something I heard one of the earlier mornings this week caused some great rumination.

The man was asking if we know what we look like as God sees us at our very best. He was speaking to the individual. He said to the one who answers that question with, "I have no idea" to begin reading the Word of God. (I'm sure it could give us some clues!) :-)

He pointed out that we should, when trying to envision, avoid thinking about PERFORMANCE. We do live in a performance driven generation, don't we? I think about myself and my own self-issued goal to achieve a deadline in advance. I'm sure there is pride in that goal.

What I have really been trying to process is his next statement - what makes you feel alive? If you can answer this - you're on your way to seeing yourself at your best - and then finding what God has called you to do for him." I think he is saying, "if something makes you feel alive -if there is already life in something you do or experience, God will equip you (if he has not already called you) to use that for his glory and purpose.

Things that make me feel alive:
Having the right answer...first! (sin)
When I win (sin)
great theological debates (except that one time that made me go "almost" crazy where I wound up in tears and was shaking all over)
When I learn something very practical that make life easier (example: tildes in excel, shortcut keys in MS applications)
When my children laugh
When my children reach out for me
Nursing my babies (I'm done now. Tear, tear, sniff sniff)
when I was pregnant with my kids. The little life inside moving built so much great anticipation!
Worship, community or in solitude
Putting words together in such a way that they actually look like something new is being said
trees
doing a random and anonymous act of kindness or giving
creativity (mine or someone elses)
Being on the water - deep sea fishing on Guam, pulling in that 15 lb rainbow runner!
the GREEN FLASH! (only on Guam!)
Sitting at the cool spot (only on Guam!)
Helping
Being specifically called upon to counsel, administer, pray
the idea of being a roller derby champion
Helping someone make progress
Writing worship songs
Writing silly songs for my kids
Witnessing a miracle and answered prayers
Hearing testimonies
Being remembered for something I have said or done, but in a positive way
-and more practically: coffee, the color orange, a citrus kiss, really really good Korean food, soup, and looking (or feeling like I look) really good in a dress!

So. My question is...when do you feel alive? Where? Are you in the right place?

No comments:

Post a Comment